Embark on an exhilarating European adventure steeped in storied history, grand architecture and breathtaking scenery on this fabulous, 12-day, 11-night itinerary featuring a deluxe river cruise and unforgettable mountain rail journeys. Discover the timeless beauty of the Rhine as you wind past storybook towns, terraced vineyards and forested hills crowned by castles. Marvel at the sweeping grandeur of the Alps on a panoramic train ride that traverses mountain terrain and affords gorgeous views.
Day 1 Depart home city
Day 2 Zurich, Switzerland to Engelberg
Day 3 Lucerne/Mount Pilatus
Day 4 Lucerne/Andermatt/Glacier Express/Chur
Day 5 Engelberg/Basel/Embark Viva Enjoy
Day 6 Strasbourg, France
Day 7 Mannheim, Germany for Heidelberg
Day 8 Rüdesheim/Cruise the Lorelei Passage
Day 9 Cochem
Day 10 Cologne
Day 11 Cruising/Amsterdam, Netherlands
Day 12 Disembark ship/Return to home city
- Three nights in Engelberg, Switzerland, at a deluxe historic hotel.
- Seven-night cruise from Basel, Switzerland to Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- Elegantly appointed, deluxe accommodations.
- All transfers during the Land and Cruise Program: trains and deluxe motor coaches.
- Captain’s Welcome and Farewell Receptions.
- Complimentary nonpremium liquor, house wine, beer and nonalcoholic beverages available throughout the cruise and minibar service; complimentary house wine, beer and nonalcoholic beverages at meals during the land portion of the program.
- 3 receptions, 10 breakfasts, 9 lunches and 7 dinners.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi access (conditions permitting).
- Settle in for a marvelous ride on the celebrated Glacier Express and glide through panoramas of lush mountains, tranquil valleys and sparkling lakes.
- Admire Lucerne’s wonderfully painted buildings, stately churches and medieval covered wooden footbridges on a walking tour. Head up majestic Mount Pilatus to Pilatus Kulm at 6,795 feet by
cable car and gondola for spectacular vistas, then descend aboard the world’s steepest cog railway. Cruise on Lake Lucerne afterward.
- Explore Basel, a vibrant, modern city known for its contemporary art scene, museums and galleries.
- Visit the Renaissance-era ruins of Heidelberg’s grand castle over the picturesque Neckar Valley and enjoy a walking tour through the romantic old town.
- Take in vineyards in the heart of Riesling wine country near Rüdesheim aboard a mini-train and sample fine wines in town.
Delight in charming Cochem on a walking tour and visit hilltop Reichsburg Castle with stunning views of the Moselle River.