Immerse yourself in the true essence of Italian life in the fabled Lake District, an impossibly picturesque setting that has inspired poets, composers, artists and philosophers for centuries. For one full week, enjoy charming accommodations in the belle-époque Palace Hotel in the heart of lovely Como and just steps away from the local market. Cruise by private boat on Lake Como, Lake Maggiore and Lake Orta. During expert-guided excursions and time on your own, explore beautiful villages and artistic and architectural treasures. Visit Bellagio, Villa del Balbianello, Stresa, Isola Bella and the Sacro Monte di Orta, a UNESCO World Heritage site. Spend a day in Milan, to visit the Duomo and Teatro alla Scala, and see Leonardo da Vinci’s masterpiece The Last Supper. Enriching lectures and the exclusive Village Life® Forum with local residents provide personal perspectives. This popular program is an intimate and comprehensive travel experience at just the right pace, including exceptional accommodations, specially arranged meals and all excursions—an excellent value! Verona and Venice Post-Program Option available.
- Depart the U.S. or Canada
- Milan, Italy/Como
- Lake Maggiore/Borromean Islands/Stresa
- Lake Como/Villa del Balbianello/Bellagio
- Lake Orta/San Giulio Island/Sacro Monte di Orta
- Como/Milan/Return to the U.S. or Canada*Cruise itinerary is subject to change.
- Comprehensive Italian soggiorno (sojourn) in the fabled region that has inspired renowned writers and artists for centuries—exclusive to Gohagan & Company.
- Seven nights in the charming Palace Hotel in the heart of medieval Como—just steps away from historic monuments, family-owned negozi (shops) and old-world ambiance.
- Small group allows for an authentic experience of life in the Italian Lake District in the foothills of the majestic Alps.
- Private boat tours on Lake Como, Lake Maggiore and Lake Orta, an undiscovered gem.
- Enriching lectures by local experts.
- Visit the stunning 18th-century Villa del Balbianello and gardens and to enjoy free time in the delightful lake town of Bellagio.
- Full-day excursion to Milan to visit the impressive Duomo, the Teatro alla Scala and the Convent of Santa Maria delle Grazie, a UNESCO World Heritage site, to see Leonardo da Vinci’s The Last Supper.
- Exclusive excursion to Lake Orta featuring one of the most beautiful villages in Italy and the 16th-century chapels atop the Sacro Monte di Orta, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Exclusive Village Life® Forum featuring local residents.
- Verona and Venice Post-Program Option.
The ideally located, classic belle‑époque Palace Hotel is a delightful establishment with an ideal setting on the lungolago (lakefront promenade) overlooking Lake Como, just steps away from Como’s beautiful marble Duomo and the medieval, pedestrian-only town center. Venetian stucco artistry, Italian marble and antique furniture provide subtle touches of 19th‑century elegance throughout the hotel, while its expertly landscaped gardens are the perfect setting to admire enchanting views across Lake Como. The Garden Bar Ceccato, with its summer terrace overlooking the lake, is an excellent place to enjoy the hotel’s renowned homemade ice cream or a cup of cappuccino.
Each of the hotel’s 94 comfortable guest rooms is tastefully appointed with a private bathroom, air conditioning, satellite television, minibar and hair dryer. Meals feature fresh seasonal Italian ingredients, local specialties and international cuisine. Regional wine selections accompany dinner. The hotel staff provides exceptional service.
- Seven nights in the charming Palace Hotel on the southern shore of Lake Como.
- Full buffet breakfast each morning.
- Three dinners in the hotel and one dinner in a traditional restaurant, featuring northern Italian specialties with Italian wine.
- Welcome Reception in the hotel.
Expert-Guided Excursions and Exclusive Cultural Enrichments
- Walking tour of Old Como.
- Spectacular, full-day scenic tour of Lake Maggiore, featuring a private cruise of the Borromean Islands and time to experience Stresa’s spectacular views and tropical gardens at leisure.
- Visit to Lake Maggiore’s Isola Bella with a walk through the gardens of the 17th‑century Palazzo Borromeo.
- Full-day excursion to Milan to visit the world‑famous Teatro alla Scala and the exquisite Duomo.
- Visit to UNESCO World Heritage‑designated Santa Maria delle Grazie in Milan, with a specially arranged viewing of Leonardo da Vinci’s The Last Supper.
- Private boat cruise across Lake Como to medieval Bellagio, including time at your own pace to explore this romantic and most famous village on Lake Como.
- Specifically arranged guided tour of the Italian National Trust’s magnificent 18th-century Villa del Balbianello.
- Specially arranged Village Life® Forum with local Lombardy residents.
- Excursion by private boat to Lake Orta’s island of San Giulio, including a visit to the 12th‑century basilica, renowned for its medieval pulpit made of black Oira marble and a walking tour of the beautiful medieval village.
- Guided tour of the fresco-adorned chapels dedicated to St. Francis of Assisi on Sacro Monte, a UNESCO World Heritage site overlooking Lake Orta.
- Opportunities to explore local markets in Como at your own pace.
- Opportunities to savor northern Italy’s traditional cuisine during included meals and on your own.
- Opportunity to interact with locals and immerse yourself in Lombardy life.
- Italian language introduction.
- Transfers and luggage handling abroad if your arrival(s)/departure(s) coincide with the scheduled group transfer(s).
- Experienced, English-speaking expert guides for all included excursions.
- Gratuities to expert guides and drivers on included excursions and transfers.
- Complimentary bottled water provided on motorcoaches during excursions.
- Hospitality desk in the hotel.
- Experienced Gohagan & Company Program Director at your service.
- Complimentary use of an audio headset during guided excursions.
- Automatic $250,000 flight insurance policy for each participant ticketed on flights by Gohagan & Company.
Tesori Di Verona e Venezia Post-Program Option
Discover the delightful treasures of two beloved Italian locales—fair Verona and extraordinary Venice. A UNESCO World Heritage site, Verona is renowned for its well‑preserved Romanesque and Gothic cathedrals, delightful piazzas and magnificent Roman monuments and is the legendary setting for Shakespeare’s timeless romance, Romeo and Juliet. See the star-crossed Juliet’s famous balcony and the spectacular 2000-year-old Roman Arena—the third‑largest such edifice in the world, still in use today.
Tour Venice, a UNESCO World Heritage site and architectural masterpiece, and the Gothic‑style Doge’s Palace. Visit the charming archipelago’s island of Burano, known for its skilled fishermen and their colorful houses. Enjoy three nights in the Hotel Bonvecchiati, an 18th‑century palazzo ideally located just a short walk from Venice’s famous Piazza San Marco.
The Pre- and Post-Program Options are available at additional cost. Details will be provided with your reservation confirmation.