Experience the authentic provincial character of Dordogne for a week in Sarlat-la-Canéda, one of France’s most beautiful and well-preserved medieval villages. Stay in the family-owned Plaza Madeleine Hôtel, formerly a grand 19th-century townhouse. Discover the region’s charming villages, medieval castles and prehistoric treasures through specially arranged excursions and Cultural Enrichments —the medieval pilgrimage site of Rocamadour and the fascinating prehistoric cave paintings of Rouffignac and Cap Blanc, all UNESCO World Heritage sites; the perfectly reproduced cave art at Lascaux, the “Sistine Chapel of Prehistory”; a private performance of French folk music and dance; Sarlat’s famous open-air market; the English-style Gardens of Eyrignac; a specially arranged gabare cruise on the Dordogne River; and the exclusive Village Life® Forum with local residents who will share candid insights into daily life in Dordogne. Complement your exploration of France’s rich culture with the Bordeaux Pre-Program Option, featuring the famous wine region of St-Émilion, and the Albi and Toulouse Post-Program Option, visiting the storybook medieval towns of southern France. This popular travel program sells out every year!
- Depart the U.S. or Canada
- Bordeaux, France/Sarlat-la-Canéda
- Les Eyzies/L’Abri du Cap-Blanc
- Rouffignac/La Madeleine
- Sarlat-la-Canéda/Bordeaux/Return to the U.S. or Canada
*Itinerary will also operate in the reverse direction.
- Uniquely designed, small group program.
- Immerse yourself in the true character and traditions of Dordogne, an authentic provincial treasure.
- Unpack just once and stay in the family-owned Hôtel Plaza Madeleine in the heart of medieval Sarlat, directly across from the twice-weekly village market.
- Most meals included—two dinners in specially selected bistros in Sarlat; complimentary local wine with included dinners.
- Visit up to nine of France’s UNESCO World Heritage sites.
- Enriching educational lectures.
- Exclusive Village Life® Forum featuring local residents.
- Prehistoric cave art in the state-of-the-art International Center for Cave Art at Lascaux and in Rouffignac.
- Bordeaux and Saint-Émilion Pre-Program Option.
- Albi and Toulouse Post-Program Option, featuring medieval Carcassonne and lovely Cordes-sur-Ciel.
- One of the most popular Gohagan & Company Village Life® programs—sells out each year.
Plaza Madeleine Hôtel, Sarlat-la-Canéda
Enjoy the traditional pace of Village Life® during your stay in the family‑owned Plaza Madeleine Hôtel, located just beyond Sarlat‑la‑Canéda’s medieval quarter, a mere five‑minute walk from the village center. A grand 19th‑century townhouse, this hôtel de charme has been renovated with tasteful French esprit contemporary.
Each of the 39 comfortable, air‑conditioned guest rooms feature two twin beds or one queen bed with private bathroom, individual climate control, satellite television, phone, Wi‑Fi access, safe, minibar and hair dryer.
The hotel dining room, where continental breakfast is served daily featuring fresh baked breads, pastries and charcuterie, is reserved for the exclusive use of hotel guests. There is a brasserie pub with lounge and private terrace, a petit lounge with computer facilities and Wi-Fi access, a heated outdoor swimming pool, solarium and spa with Jacuzzi and sauna. The dedicated hotel staff is pleased to provide attentive service.
- Seven nights in the family-owned Hôtel Plaza Madeleine.
- Private Welcome Reception in the hotel.
- Breakfast each morning, one lunch and two dinners in the hotel.
- Two dinners, each in a specially selected traditional French bistro featuring French country table d’hôte menus and regional specialties.
- Complimentary regional wine is served with each included dinner.
Expert-Guided Excursions and Exclusive Cultural Enrichments
- Architectural walking tour of Sarlat.
- Visit to Souillac’s Abbaye Marie to admire magnificent Romanesque sculptures.
- Visit to the lush, impeccably maintained 19th‑century Jardins d’Eyrignac.
- Visit to medieval village and fortified church of Saint‑Amand-de-Coly.
- Tour of the medieval Château de Beynac.
- Walking tour of Domme, with spectacular views of the Dordogne River Valley.
- Tour of the National Museum of Prehistory in Les Eyzies-de-Tayac‑Sireuil.
- Specially arranged Village Life® Forum.
- EA lecture on architectural preservation in Sarlat by a local historian.
- Private, specially arranged gabare cruise along the Dordogne River, with lunch in the village of Beynac‑et‑Cazenac.
- Local wine and cheese tasting at a Sarlat épicerie gourmet.
- Specially arranged meals highlighting the distinctive flavors of the region.
- Private 19th-century Périgord cultural folk performance.
- French language introduction.
UNESCO World Hertiage Site Highlights
- Full-day excursion to 13th-century Rocamadour.
- Visit to the impressive Rouffignac Cave.
- Excursion to see the cave friezes of L’Abri du Cap‑Blanc.
- Viewing of the acclaimed simulations of Lascaux’s prehistoric art cave at the Lascaux IV Museum.
- Visit to the prehistoric troglodyte village of La Madeleine.
- Transfers and luggage handling abroad if your arrival(s)/departure(s) coincide with the scheduled group transfer(s).
- Experienced, English-speaking local guides for included excursions.
- Gratuities to local guides and drivers on included excursions.
- Complimentary bottled water provided on motorcoaches during excursions.
- Hospitality desk in the hotel.
- Experienced Gohagan & Company Program Director at your service.
- Complimentary use of an audio headset during guided excursions.
- Automatic $250,000 flight insurance policy for each participant ticketed on flights by Gohagan & Company.
Splendors of Bordeaux
St-Émilion ◆ Médoc Pre-Program Option
Long distinguished as the wine capital of the world, France’s verdant Bordeaux region has been producing, fermenting and bottling the grape since the eighth century. Tucked away in the heart of the rolling French countryside and endless vineyards, visit the charming and legendary village of St-Émilion, a UNESCO World Heritage site, famous for the Merlot grape grown here that produces rich, full‑bodied red wines. Visit the impressive medieval monuments of St-Émilion, including the Église Monolithe, one of the largest underground churches in Europe. Experience the Grand Cru Classé of St-Émilion, Bordeaux’s distinguished wine classification, at a château and enjoy a tasting of their exquisite wines. Accommodations are for two nights in the deluxe Hôtel Burdigala, located in the heart of Bordeaux.
Albi and Toulouse Cordes-sur-Ciel ◆ Carcassonne Post Program Option
The cobblestone towns of southwest France showcase the region’s storybook charm. Experience the classic refinements and medieval allure of Cordes‑Sur‑Ciel, Albi, Carcassonne and Toulouse on this four‑night Post-Program itinerary, which brims with exclusive excursions. Sample Gaillac wines in the lovely Château Bouscaillous; explore cherished cathedrals and old-world villages, equal parts storied and spectacular; admire the largest collection of Toulouse‑Lautrec’s works; and enjoy the incomparable scenery of the bucolic French countryside. Accommodations are for two nights each in the Hotel Mercure Albi Bastides and the Grand Hôtel de l’Opéra in Toulouse.
The Pre-Program and Post-Program options are available at additional cost. Details will be provided with your reservation confirmation.