Northern Italy’s fabled Lake District beckons with its shimmering glacial waters, soaring Alpine peaks, and bijou towns on a 7-night itinerary that immerses you in the distinct bella figura Italian style that has inspired poets, composers, artists, and philosophers for centuries. Visit Bellagio; Villa del Balbianello; Stresa; Isola Bella; and Sacro Monte di Orta, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. In Milan, visit the Duomo and Teatro alla Scala, and enjoy a specially arranged viewing of
Leonardo da Vinci’s The Last Supper.
Itinerary – 9 Days
1 Depart home city
2 Milan, Italy/Como
4 Lake Maggiore/Borromean Islands/Stresa
6 Lake Como/Villa del Balbianello/Bellagio
7 Lake Orta/Orta San Giulio/Sacro Monte di Orta
9 Como/Milan/Return to home city
- Stroll along Como’s medieval towers and walls, Renaissance palaces and churches,
neoclassical 19th‑century villas, and small family-owned negozio, or shops.
- See the magnificent Duomo di Como and the 12th‑century Romanesque Basilica di San Fedele.
- Visit the crown jewel of the Borromean archipelago, Isola Bella, occupied by the 17th-century Palazzo Borromeo.
- Enjoy amazing mountain views from Stresa, the setting for Ernest Hemingway’s iconic novel “A Farewell to Arms”.
- Behold the majesty of Milan’s late-Gothic Duomo and the Teatro alla Scala opera house.
- Explore the magnificent Villa del Balbianello and its unique terraced gardens.
- Discover the heart of Orta San Giulio’s medieval village center to admire Baroque palazzos built by Italian nobility.
- Visit chapels dedicated to St. Francis of Assisi atop the summit of UNESCO-inscribed Sacro Monte di Orta.
- Cruise across the cobalt-blue water in a private boat to Isola San Giulio, taking in views of Italian villas and gardens along the way.
- Transfers and luggage handling abroad if you made your air arrangements through
Gohagan & Company. (If you made your own air arrangements, transfers and luggage
handling are not included.)
- Experienced, English-speaking local guides for included excursions.
- Gratuities to local guides and drivers on included excursions and transfers.
- Complimentary bottled water in your room and on excursions.
- Hospitality desk at the hotel.
- Experienced Gohagan & Company Travel Directors at your service.
- Complimentary use of an audio headset during guided excursions.
- Automatic $250,000 flight insurance policy for each participant ticketed on flights by Gohagan & Company.
All program features are contingent upon final brochure pricing. Gohagan & Company reserves the right to correct errors or omissions and to change any and all fares, fees, promotions, and surcharges at any time.
The Palace Hotel
- Majestic Belle Epoque hotel with 94 renovated guest rooms, situated on the promenade
overlooking Lake Como.
- Ideally located, just steps away from Como’s beautiful marble Duomo and the medieval,
pedestrian-only town center.
- Enjoy expertly landscaped gardens for enchanting views across Lake Como.