This unique and exclusive nine-day itinerary showcases the coastal jewels of the Iberian Peninsula between Lisbon, Portugal, and Barcelona, Spain, during the best time of year. Cruise ancient trade routes from the Atlantic Ocean to the Mediterranean Sea aboard the exclusively chartered, Five-Star Le Jacques Cartier, launching in 2020 and featuring only 92 Suites and Staterooms each with a private balcony and complimentary alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages and Wi-Fi throughout the ship. Sail up Spain’s legendary Guadalquivir River, “the great river,” into the heart of beautiful Seville, an exclusive opportunity only available by small ship. Visit Portugal’s stunningly beautiful Algarve coast and the regal city of Granada, Spain. Stand on the “Top of the Rock” at Gibraltar and call on the enchanting Balearic Island of Mallorca. See the history of Roman and Carthaginian civilizations in ancient Cartagena. Visit the Baroque Church of St. Anthony, with its intricate gilded carved wood interior in Lagos. During daily port calls and included excursions, enjoy stunning scenery and see four UNESCO World Heritage sites. A Lisbon Pre-Cruise Option and Barcelona Post-Cruise Option are offered.
Lisbon, Seville, Andalusia, Gibraltar, Granada, Cartagana, Mallorca, Barcelona
- Day 1: Depart the U.S. or Canada
- Day 2: Lisbon, Portugal/Embark Le Jacques Cartier
- Day 3: Portimão, the Algarve, for Lagos
- Day 4: Cruise the Guadalquivir River into Seville, Andalusia, Spain
- Day 5: Gibraltar, British Overseas Territory
- Day 6: Malaga for Granada, Andalusia, Spain
- Day 7: Cartagena
- Day 8: Palma de Mallorca, Balearic Islands
- Day 9: Barcelona/Disembark ship/Return to the U.S. or Canada
*Cruise itinerary is subject to change
- Introducing the extraordinary Blue Eye, the world’s first multisensory, underwater Observation Lounge.
- Uniquely created seven-night cruise following Gohagan & Company’s tradition of innovative, small ship itineraries.
- Exclusively chartered cruise aboard the newest Five‑Star expedition ship Le Jacques Cartier, launching in 2020.
- Only 92 Suites and Staterooms—each with a private balcony!
- Five great cities— Lisbon, Seville, Granada, Cartagena and Barcelona—paired with the fascinating Algarve region—all shore excursions included.
- Explore the inimitable Iberian Peninsula, a showcase of medieval towns, modern cities and incredible artistic and architectural treasures.
- Special cruise up the Guadalquivir River into the heart of Seville, possible only by small ship.
- Specially arranged educational lectures.
- Visit enchanting, seldom-visited Palma de Mallorca in the Balearic Islands and the Great Rock of Gibraltar.
- Complimentary alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages throughout the cruise and complimentary Wi-Fi aboard ship.
- Lisbon Pre-Cruise and Barcelona Post-Cruise Options.
New, Five-Star Small Ship Le Jacques Cartier
Introducing the extraordinary Blue Eye, the world’s first multisensory, underwater Observation Lounge. View the beauty of marine life through the large, subaquatic windows and integrated digital screens providing live images from underwater cameras, and enjoy the sensory experience of listening to the ocean’s unique underwater universe in the comfort of the exclusive Blue Eye lounge. Marine life viewing varies by location.
Luxury Small Ship, Innovative Design
Le Jacques Cartier, launching in 2020, ushers in a new generation of Five-Star small ships, combining revolutionary design and a new standard of luxury for unparalleled cruising. Dock in smaller ports inaccessible to larger ships and where authentic cultural experiences and majestic scenery await you.
Respect for the Environment
The newest addition to the Ponant “clean ship” fleet, a prestigious certification among ocean‑cruising vessels, Le Jacques Cartier is energy efficient and eco‑friendly, protecting fragile marine ecosystems while providing a safe and comfortable voyage.
Chic and Casual Dining
Dine indoors or alfresco on international and regional cuisine served in the stylish, spacious indoor‑outdoor restaurant, at the casual pool deck grill or from 24‑hour room service. Daily meals include continental and buffet breakfasts, buffet lunch, afternoon tea and four‑course dinner.
92 Elegant Suites and Staterooms, 100% with Private Balconies
Each Five‑Star Stateroom and Suite (up to 484 square feet) features a private balcony. Grand Deluxe Suites have a bay window and spacious private terrace. Accommodations offer two twin beds or one queen bed, private bathroom with shower, individual climate control and luxurious hotel amenities.
Life on Board
Enjoy sweeping views from the lounges, which open to the outdoors, and lectures, cultural performances or film screenings in the state‑of‑the‑art theater. Relax in the spa and sauna or the Sun Deck’s infinity‑style swimming pool. There is a beauty salon, fitness room and three elevators. Complimentary Wi‑Fi is available throughout the ship.
The highly trained, English‑speaking crew are personable and attentive, and the ship has a medical center staffed with a doctor and nurse.
On Board the Exclusively Chartered, Five-Star, Small Ship Le Jacques Cartier
- Seven-night cruise from Lisbon, Portugal, to Barcelona, Spain.
- Elegantly appointed, Five-Star Suite or Stateroom, each with a private balcony.
- Captain’s Welcome and Farewell Receptions.
- Complimentary alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages available throughout the cruise.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the ship.
- Blue Eye—the world’s first luxury, multisensory, underwater observatory.
- Excursion to the splendid, seaside Ponta de Piedade rock formation, Portugal’s magnificent Algarve province.
- Excursion to the scenic port town of Lagos in the Algarve featuring the Baroque Church of St. Anthony.
- Cruise on Spain’s legendary Guadalquivir River, “the great river,” into the heart of Seville.
- Specially arranged flamenco performance.
- Visit to the British Crown Colony of Gibraltar, featuring the “Top of the Rock” and St. Michael’s Cave.
- Tour of ancient Cartagena, known for the medieval Castillo de la Concepción, a fortress for Carthaginians, Romans, Visigoths, Arabs and Castillians, and the former 6000-seat ancient Roman Theater with its magnificent museum.
- Tour of the historic Balearic Island port of Palma de Mallorca, featuring its Palma Cathedral and the Bellver Castle.
- Visit to the hilltop estate of Son Marroig, offering unforgettable views of Mallorca’s coastline.
Valldemossa, featuring a piano recital of Chopin’s music.
UNESCO World Heritage Site Highlights
- Tour of Seville, highlighted by the rich historical monuments of Giralda Tower, the lavishly decorated Seville Cathedral and the Moorish Alcázar.
- Excursion to Granada, featuring a specially arranged visit to the Alhambra and the lush Generalife Gardens, with dinner.
- Walking tour through Cartagena, featuring the Castle of Conception.
- Scenic drive through Mallorca’s Tramuntana Mountains to see its verdant agricultural landscape.
- Transfers and luggage handling abroad if your arrival(s)/departure(s) coincide with the scheduled group transfer(s).
- Experienced, English-speaking local guides for included excursions.
- Gratuities to local guides and drivers on included excursions and transfers.
- Complimentary bottled water in your Suite or Stateroom and on excursions.
- Hospitality desk aboard ship.
- Experienced Gohagan & Company Travel Director at your service.
- Complimentary use of an audio headset during guided excursions.
- Automatic $250,000 flight insurance policy for each participant ticketed on flights by Gohagan & Company.
Grande Lisboa Pre-Cruise Option
A historic gateway for world exploration, Lisbon exudes charm from its illustrious palaces, magnificent monuments and impressive architecture. See the UNESCO World Heritage site of the magnificent 16th-century Jerónimos Monastery and the Tower of Belém’s unique Manueline-style architecture. Visit the charming village of Sintra, a UNESCO World Heritage site where the Moorish fort is the last remaining medieval royal palace in Portugal, and explore the picture-perfect coastal town of Cascais. Enjoy two nights in the deluxe Dom Pedro Lisboa Hotel.
Barcelona and Beyond Post-Cruise Option
Experience the heart of Barcelona, the lively capital city of Catalonia and once an ancient Roman trading port. See the Barri Gòtic (Gothic Quarter), the city’s old-world center, with its Roman walls and labyrinthine streets. Tour architect Antoni Gaudí’s extraordinary UNESCO World Heritage designated Basílica de la Sagrada Família. On a full-day excursion, discover Gaudí’s most hidden treasure, the Crypt of Colonia Güell, and visit spectacular Montserrat and its Benedictine monastery, founded in 1025. Enjoy two nights in the Five-Star Majestic Hotel & Spa.
Pre-Cruise and Post-Cruise Options are available at additional cost. Details will be provided with your reservation confirmation.