Sicily and Malta have possessed an almost mythical appeal since Homer and Virgil first extolled their virtues. From the classical perfection of Agrigento’s Roman relics to the ancient cliffside village of Taormina,
this carefully curated, 7-night itinerary explores resplendent shores and prized remnants of bygone civilizations. Bask in sun-dappled islands at the crossroads of the Mediterranean and explore coastal cities that date back more than 7,000 years. Cruise along two of Europe’s most dramatic coastlines through the fabled Strait of Messina to the Tyrrhenian and Mediterranean seas. Journey from the island of Malta to the ancient Valley of the Temples in Agrigento and to the souk (marketplace) of Tunis, Tunisia. Enjoy calls at Taormina, Trapani, and Palermo on the island of Sicily before cruising to Syracuse. Enhance your tour with the Malta Pre-Program Option.
Itinerary – 9 Days
1 Depart home city
2 Valleta, Malta/Embark Le Bougainville
3 Reggio Calabria, Italy/Naxos for Taormina, Sicily, Italy
6 Tunis, Tunisia for Carthage
7 Porto Empedocle for Agrigento, Sicily
9 Valletta, Malta/Disembark ship/Return to home city
- Explore the history of Malta, the island nation where Saint Paul the Apostle was shipwrecked,
and the late Queen Elizabeth II once called home.
- Enjoy views of Sicily’s imposing Mt. Etna, Europe’s highest volcano.
- Explore Taormina, an ancient village on the top of a cliff above the Ionic Sea.
- In Reggio Calabria, tour the National Archaeological Museum, which houses the Riace Bronzes, a pair of ancient, life‑size Greek statues.
- Discover Palermo’s traditional Sicilian Old Quarter, Quattro Canti, baroque square, and 12th‑century Duomo.
- Experience the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Carthage with visits to the Baths of Antonino,
the ancient theater, and the Punic ports where Carthaginian fleets once took shelter.
- Visit Agrigento’s UNESCO World Heritage-designated Valley of Temples.
- Journey to Syracuse to visit the Altar of Hieron II, Dyonisios’ Ear, the Roman Amphitheater,
and the Greek Theater.
- Transfers and luggage handling abroad if you made your air arrangements through
Gohagan & Company. (If you made your own air arrangements, transfers and luggage
handling are not included.)
- Experienced, English-speaking local guides for included excursions.
- Gratuities to local guides and drivers on included excursions and transfers.
- Captain’s Welcome and Farewell Receptions.
- Hospitality desk.
- Experienced Gohagan & Company Travel Directors at your service.
All program features are contingent upon final brochure pricing. Gohagan & Company reserves the right to correct errors or omissions and to change any and all fares, fees, promotions, and surcharges at any time.
5-Star, Small Ship
- Only 92 suites and staterooms, each with a private balcony.
- All meals included on board the ship, as well as alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages
throughout the cruise.
- State-of-the-art theater ideal for enriching educational lectures.
Malta Pre-Program Option
Enhance your Mediterranean cruise experience with a 2-night immersion on the island of Malta. Walk the medieval streets of the beautifully preserved, UNESCO‑inscribed town of Valetta, built by the Knights of the Order of St. John in the late 16th century. Visit the Lower Barrakka Gardens for a breathtaking panorama of the Grand Harbor and the Grandmaster’s Palace. Explore the stunning 16th-century Casa Rocca Piccola, home of the Marquis De Piro family, led by one of the family members. Visit St. John’s Co-Cathedral and at UNESCO-inscribed Hagar Qim, explore the Palace of the Inquisitor and the Tarxien Temples. Accommodations are in an ideally located 5‑star hotel.
The Pre -Program Option is available at an additional cost. Details will be provided with your reservation confirmation.