Journey to the cradle of Western civilization and the classical world on our comprehensive nine-day Aegean Odyssey. Explore the exquisitely preserved treasures and mythical landscapes of ancient Greece, uncovering layers of architectural history. Cruise to fabled halcyon islands from antiquity aboard the exclusively chartered, state‑of‑the‑art, Five‑Star Le Bougainville. Our epic voyage calls on the islands of Delos, Mykonos, Pátmos, Rhodes, Santorini and the Peloponnese Peninsula. Visit the spectacular ancient city of Ephesus, arguably the finest extant example of a Greco-Roman classical city. Walk through the fabled Lion Gate of legendary Mycenae and explore the monumental ruins of the Sanctuary of Asklepios of Epidaurus. Enjoy guided tours in these storied destinations, visit up to eight magnificent UNESCO World Heritage sites and experience the time-honored traditions and delights of authentic Greek villages. Meet and engage with local residents who will discuss contemporary life on the islands of the Aegean Sea during the specially arranged ISLAND LIFE® FORUM. Extend your voyage with the Classical Athens and Mythical Cape Sounion Pre-Program and Oracle of Delphi and Antiquities of Thebes Post-Program Options.
- Day 1: Depart the U.S. or Canada
- Day 2: Athens, Greece/Embark Le Bougainville
- Day 3: Delos/Mykonos
- Day 4: Kuşadasi, Turkey, for Ephesus
- Day 5: Pátmos, Greece
- Day 6: Rhodes/Lindos
- Day 7: Santorini/Akrotiri
- Day 8: Nafplion for Mycenae and Epidaurus
- Day 9: Athens/Disembark ship/Return to the U.S. or Canada
*Itinerary is subject to change.
- Uniquely created seven-night cruise itinerary following Gohagan & Company’s tradition of innovative, small ship programming.
- Exclusively chartered cruise aboard the Five‑Star expedition ship Le Bougainville, launched in 2019.
- Only 92 Suites and Staterooms—each with a private balcony.
- Visit up to eight UNESCO World Heritage sites.
- Call on islands steeped in myth and history—Delos, Mykonos, Pátmos, Santorini and Rhodes.
- Explore remarkable Ephesus, the capital of Roman Asia Minor and the most complete classical city in Europe.
- Walk through the fabled Lion Gate of the legendary city of Mycenae.
- Explore the monumental ruins of the Sanctuary of Asklepios in historic Epidaurus.
- Complimentary alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages throughout the cruise and complimentary Wi-Fi aboard ship.
- Introducing the extraordinary Blue Eye, the world’s first multisensory, underwater observation lounge.
- Classical Athens and Mythical Cape Sounion Pre-Program and Oracle of Delphi and Antiquities of Thebes Post-Program Options.
Five-Star Small Ship ms Le Bougainville
Luxury Expedition Ships, Innovative Design
Le Bougainville, launched in 2019, ushers in a new generation of Five-Star small ships, combining revolutionary design and a new standard of luxury for unparalleled cruising. Dock in smaller ports inaccessible to larger ships, where authentic cultural experiences and majestic scenery await you.
Blue Eye—The World’s First Luxury Underwater Observatory
Exclusive to the Ponant Explorer fleet is the extraordinary Blue Eye, a multisensory underwater Observation Lounge that incorporates bionic and biomimetic decor and technology to immerse you in the beauty of the ocean’s ecosystem. Observe marine life through the large subaquatic windows and on digital screens projecting undersea activity in real time, while specially designed hydrophones echo the ocean’s ebb and flow and relay the sounds and senses beneath the water’s surface.
Respect for the Environment
The newest additions to a fleet that has been awarded the prestigious “Clean Ship” designation,
a rarity among ocean-cruising vessels, the ships are designed with energy efficient, advanced
eco-friendly features that protect fragile marine ecosystems while providing a safe and comfortable voyage.
92 Elegant Suites and Staterooms, 100% with Private Balconies
Each Five-Star Stateroom and Suite (up to 484 square feet) features a private balcony. Grand Deluxe Suites have a bay window and spacious private terrace. Accommodations offer two twin beds or one queen bed, individual climate control and luxurious hotel amenities.
Chic and Casual Dining
Dine indoors or alfresco on international and regional cuisine served in the stylish, spacious indoor-outdoor restaurant, at the casual pool deck grill or from 24-hour room service. Daily meals include continental and buffet breakfasts, buffet lunch, afternoon tea and a four-course dinner.
Spacious Environment, Intimate Atmosphere
Inspired by the natural and nautical worlds, the warm and inviting public areas are marked by a refined elegance. Enjoy sweeping views from the lounges, which open to the outdoors, and lectures, cultural performances or film screenings in the state-of-the-art theater. Relax in the spa and sauna rooms or the Sun Deck’s infinity-style swimming pool. Each ship has a beauty salon, fitness room and, for your convenience, two elevators. Complimentary Wi-Fi is available throughout the ship.
The highly trained, English-speaking crew are personable and attentive, and the ship has an infirmary staffed with a doctor and a nurse.
On Board the Exclusively Chartered, FiveStar Small Ship Le Bougainville
- Elegantly appointed, Five-Star Suite or Stateroom, each with a private bathroom.
- Captain’s Welcome and Farewell Receptions.
- Complimentary alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages available throughout the cruise.
- All meals aboard ship.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi access (conditions permitting).
- Blue Eye—the world’s first luxury, multisensory, underwater observation Lounge.
Expert-Guided Excursions and Exclusive Cultural Enrichments
- Tour of Santorini—which some consider to be the mythological lost city of Atlantis—featuring a visit to the renowned Museum of Prehistoric Thera and a cable car ride.
- Guided tour of the remarkable Minoan site of Bronze Age Akrotiri.
- Time at leisure on the islands of Rhodes and Mykonos to explore at your own pace.
- Choice of a half-day excursion in Lindos to the Acropolis or an afternoon at leisure in Rhodes.
- Island Life® Forum with local residents who will discuss contemporary life on the islands of the Aegean Sea.
- Traditional Greek music and dance performance.
Unesco World Heritage Site Highlights
- Excursion from Kuşadasi to the magnificent ruins of Ephesus, one of the Roman Empire’s most important cities, including a visit to the Terrace Houses.
- Walking tour of medieval Rhodes Town, with a visit to the 14th-century Palace of the Grand Masters of the Knights of St. John.
- Tour of the Cave of the Apocalypse and the Monastery of St. John on the island of Pátmos.
- Walking tour of Delos’s splendid classical ruins including the Sanctuary of Apollo and the theater quarter.
- Tour of the ancient archaeological site of Mycenae.
- Excursion to Epidaurus, featuring the Sanctuary of Asklepios and its perfectly preserved theater.
- Transfers and luggage handling abroad if your arrival(s)/departure(s) coincide with the scheduled group transfer(s).
- Experienced, English-speaking local guides for included excursions.
- Gratuities to local guides and drivers on included excursions and transfers.
- Complimentary bottled water in your Suite or Stateroom and on excursions.
- Hospitality desk aboard ship.
- Experienced Gohagan & Company Program Directors at your service.
- Complimentary use of an audio headset during guided excursions.
- Automatic $250,000 flight insurance policy for each participant ticketed on flights by Gohagan & Company.
Classical Athens and Mythical Cape Sounion Pre-Program Option
Experience the ancient city of Athens unmatched in its contributions to the foundation of the Western world. Explore the monumental Acropolis, a UNESCO World Heritage site, and the perfectly proportioned Parthenon, a graceful example of Doric architecture. Tour the archaeological treasures of the Acropolis Museum and enjoy the colorful neighborhood of Plaka, the oldest section of Athens. Discover the idyllic coves and sparkling Aegean waters of Cape Sounion and follow the ancient route of Pericles to the Temple of Poseidon, where, remarkably, 15 of the original 34 Doric columns are still standing. This Pre-Program Option features two nights in the deluxe Hotel Grande Bretagne, Athens.
Oracle of Delphi and Antiquities of Thebes Post-Program Option
One of the most spectacular of all ancient Greek sites, UNESCO-inscribed Delphi formed the center of the Greek world in the sixth century B.C. Tour the magnificent Archaeological Museum, a treasure trove of ancient artifacts, including the life‑size, fifth‑century B.C. bronze statue of the Charioteer of Delphi. Walk the Sacred Way to the Panhellenic sanctuary of Delphi, second only to the Athens Acropolis in importance. Stand at the marble Altar of the Chians, where the common and the mighty awaited the oracle’s pronouncements.
Discover the importance of ancient Thebes to Greek civilization—from the Bronze Age and Mycenaean eras until its destruction by Alexander the Great in 335 B.C.—at the superb Archaeological Museum of Thebes. Accommodations are for one night in the Domotel Anemolia Village Mountain Resort in Arachova near Delphi and one night in the Sofitel Athens Airport Hotel.
Pre-Program and Post-Program Options are available at additional cost. Details will be provided with your reservation confirmation.