Experience the timeless pageantry and traditional folkways of Russia, revealed along the scenic rivers, lakes and canals that link St. Petersburg with Moscow. Between these grand cultural capitals lies a countryside seemingly untouched by the modern age. Golden‑domed churches rise up from the early morning mist, quaint wooden villages and old-world farms cover the meadowed landscape and the light of lingering summer evenings reflects the banks of Russia’s inland waterways.
Cruise aboard the exclusively chartered, deluxe Volga Dream, the premier small ship on Russia’s waterways, accommodating only 90 guests in elegant, river-view Suites and Staterooms.
The expert, English-speaking staff ensure you will enjoy an intimate atmosphere, personalized service and fine cuisine throughout your cruise.
Explore the preeminent artistic, historical and architectural treasures of classical Russian culture and several “Golden Ring” cities. Visit splendid St. Petersburg—Russia’s “window on the West” and its cultural capital—the legacy of the most visionary of tsars, Peter the Great. Then, cruise through the heart of Russia, where daily life unfolds at a generations-old measured pace and villagers dwell in traditional wooden cottages to preserve the time-honored customs of their ancestors. Characteristic onion-domed churches and fortified monasteries testify to the abiding faith of the Russian people. Conclude with one night in the fabled city of Moscow, the political and commercial capital of the world’s largest country.
This unique travel program features the best ship in Russia and a thoughtfully crafted, comprehensive itinerary with opportunities to experience nine UNESCO World Heritage sites. This popular program is an excellent value—reserve today while space is still available.
- Day 1: Depart the U.S.
- Day 2-4: St. Petersburg, Russia
- Day 5: St. Petersburg/Embark Volga Dream
- Day 6: Neva River/Lake Ladoga/Svirstroy/Svir River/Lake Onega
- Day 7: Kizhi Island/Lake Onega
- Day 8: Lake Beloye/Goritsy/Sheksna River
- Day 9: Lake Rybinskoye/Yaroslavl
- Day 10: Uglich/Volga River
- Day 11: Moscow/Disembark ship
- Day 12: Moscow/Return to the U.S.
Itinerary is subject to change.
In St. Petersburg and Moscow
- Three nights in the centrally located, Five-Star landmark Belmond Grand Hotel Europe in St. Petersburg.
- One night in the Five-Star Marriott Royal Aurora Hotel in Moscow.
- Breakfast each morning in the hotels.
- Two lunches in St. Petersburg.
- One dinner in the hotel in Moscow.
- City tour of St. Petersburg, featuring tours to the impressive Peter and Paul Fortress and neoclassical St. Isaac’s Cathedral.
- Optional Russian ballet performance in St. Petersburg.*
- Optional Russian folklore performance in St. Petersburg’s Nikolaevsky Art Center.*
* Note: The optional ballet performance and folklore performance are an additional cost.
On Board the Exclusively Chartered, Deluxe Volga Dream
- Acclaimed Guest Speaker Pavel Palazhchenko, interpeter and advisor for former Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev.
- Six-night cruise from St. Petersburg to Moscow on Russia’s legendary waterways—the Neva River,
Lake Ladoga, the Svir River, Lake Onega, Lake Beloye, the Sheksna River, Lake Rybinskoye and the Volga River.
- Deluxe, river-view Suite or Stateroom.
- Captain’s Welcome and Farewell Receptions.
- All meals aboard ship.
- Complimentary house wine and soft drinks included with lunch and dinner; coffee and tea available 24 hours.
- Specially arranged Russian vodka tasting.
- Exclusive traditional Russian tea ceremony.
- Visit to the 14th-century Kirillo‑Belozersky Monastery near Goritsy.
- Walking tour of historic Uglich, with a visit to the Church of Prince Dimitri‑on-the-Blood.
UNESCO World Heritage Site Highlights
- Early entrance and guided tour of the State Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg.
- Visits to the elaborate Peterhof Palace and Gardens and Catherine Palace in Pushkin.
- Walking tour of fascinating Kizhi Pogost, an architectural masterpiece.
- City tour of medieval Yaroslavl.
- Visit to Moscow’s imposing Kremlin.
- Tour of Moscow’s city center to see Red Square and brightly hued St. Basil’s Cathedral.
- Transfers and luggage handling abroad if your arrival(s)/departure(s) coincide with the scheduled group transfer(s).
- Experienced, English-speaking local guides for included excursions.
- Gratuities to local guides and drivers on included excursions and transfers.
- Complimentary bottled water in your Suite or Stateroom aboard ship and on excursions.
- Hospitality desk in the hotels and aboard ship.
- Experienced Gohagan & Company Travel Directors at your service.
- Complimentary use of an audio headset during guided excursions.