The High Arctic lands of the Svalbard archipelago summon awe and adventure like few places on Earth. Journey to 80 degrees North on this unique 11-day itinerary featuring an extraordinary seven-night cruise on the Five-Star, exclusively chartered Le Boréal. Follow in the footsteps of explorers and scientists as you experience the Arctic’s sublime landscapes at the best time of year, when the region is bathed in the magical light of the Midnight Sun. Cruise the shores of Spitsbergen, the jewel of Norway’s seldom-visited Svalbard archipelago; survey an ethereal topography of red sandstone mountain ranges, verdant tundra and spectacular ice formations; and enjoy naturalist-led Zodiac excursions in diverse, serene terrains. Keep watch for remarkable wildlife including the “King of the Arctic”—the polar bear—whales, walruses, seals, Svalbard reindeer, Arctic foxes and Arctic terns. Round-trip flights Paris/Longyearbyen included; spend one night in Paris before and after your cruise. Extend your expedition with the Paris Pre-Program Option.
Depart from the U.S. or Canada
Arrive in Paris, France
Paris/Fly to Longyearbyen, Spitsbergen, Norway’s Svalbard Archipelago/Embark Le Boréal
Hornsund for Burgerbukta/Samarin Glacier
Bellsund for Calypsobyen/Camp Millar
Cruising the Arctic Ice Pack
Raudfjorden for Smeerenburg
Ny-Ålesund/Kongsfjorden for King’s Glacier
Longyearbyen/Disembark ship/Fly to Paris, France
Paris/Return to the U.S. or Canada
*Please note that the itinerary, cruising pattern, excursions and positionings are dependent on weather, ice and sea conditions and are subject to change.
- Unique 11-day itinerary featuring an extraordinary seven-night Arctic cruise.
- Cruise the shores of Spitsbergen, the jewel of Norway’s rarely visited Svalbard archipelago, a dramatic island of sweeping contrasts.
- Ocean-view accommodations aboard a Five-Star expedition ship, most with a private balcony—simply the optimal cruising experience.
- Explore Spitsbergen’s protected fjords, bays and shores, where glacial sheets meet alpine peaks, red sandstone mountains and verdant tundra.
- Cruise to seldom-seen areas in search of the polar bear, “King of the Arctic.”
- Remarkable wildlife—whales, walruses, seals, Svalbard reindeer, Arctic foxes, northern fulmars and Arctic terns.
- Zodiac excursions led by an expedition team of naturalists with expertise spanning marine biology, ornithology, glaciology, conservation, history, photography and lectures aboard ship on natural wonders and wildlife.
- Opportunities for this exclusively chartered, ice-class ship to adjust course to maximize wildlife sightings.
- Includes flights round trip Paris/Longyearbyen.
- Complimentary alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages throughout the cruise and complimentary Wi-Fi aboard ship (conditions permitting).
- Best time of year to cruise the waters of Spitsbergen, under the midnight sun!
- Paris Pre-Program Option.
Five-Star, State-of-the-Art, Small Ship
Join us aboard the exclusively chartered, Five‑Star Le Boréal, where distinctive French sophistication meets innovative nautical design. The ship’s efficient electrical propulsion system and custom stabilizers provide an exceptionally smooth, quiet and comfortable voyage.
Respect for the Environment
With advanced technology and the most environmentally responsible features built into its design and operations, the ship has the important “clean ship” distinction.
With Our Compliments
Indulge in these complimentary onboard amenities—alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages available throughout the cruise and in your Suite or Stateroom minibar, Wi-Fi access (conditions permitting) and 24-hour room service.
Chic and Casual Dining
The stylish dining room and casual alfresco restaurant feature international cuisine and serve continental and buffet breakfasts, buffet lunch, afternoon tea and dinner as four courses or buffet. Wine is served at your table with lunch and dinner.
Only 110 Suites and Staterooms—95% Include Private Balconies
Elegant ocean-view accommodations range from 200 to 484 square feet, and most have a private balcony. Each Five‑Star Suite or Stateroom features individual climate control, two twin beds or one queen bed, a private bathroom with shower and luxurious hotel amenities, including flat‑screen television, a safe, full‑length closet, plush robes and slippers.
Life on Board
In addition to educational and cultural presentations, panoramic views, evening entertainment or peaceful retreat, the ship’s spacious public areas comfortably accommodate all passengers. Enjoy two lounges, a theater, library, the Sun Deck with open-air bar, beauty salon, spa, Turkish bath-style steam room and fitness room. The ship has three elevators and 10 Zodiacs.
The highly trained, English‑speaking crew is personable and attentive, and the ship has a medical center staffed with a doctor and a nurse.
In Paris, France
- One night each at the beginning and conclusion of your expedition in the deluxe Hilton Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport hotel, with breakfast.
Chartered flight round trip Paris, France/Longyearbyen, Norway.
On Board the Exclusively Chartered, Five-Star, Ice-Class Le Boréal
- Seven-night cruise round trip Longyearbyen, Svalbard, Norway.
- Elegantly appointed, Five-Star Suite or Stateroom.
- Captain’s Welcome and Farewell Receptions.
- Complimentary alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages available throughout the cruise.
- All meals aboard ship.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi access M(conditions permitting).
- Onboard expedition team of naturalists, who provide a series of briefings about local wildlife and geology.
- Exploration by Zodiac landing craft, accompanied by an expert naturalist from the expedition team.
- Zodiac cruise of the sheltered bay of Burgerbukta, where glacial-blue ice fronts snow-striped cliffs.
- Zodiac excursion to the remote Samarin Glacier, a dramatic landscape of incredible sapphire-blue ice.
- Zodiac excursion to Calypsobyen, a former coal mining settlement.
- Zodiac excursion to Camp Millar, once a gold mining base, to look for grazing endemic Svalbard reindeer.
- Cruise of stunning Woodfjorden, where the Arctic’s contrasts unfold in a dramatic panorama.
- Cruise to Monaco Glacier, an actively calving ice sheet located within scenic Liefdefjorden.
- Arctic nature walk along the shores of Raudfjorden.
- Excursion to historic Smeerenburg, a former whaling station, to look for walruses resting on shore.
- Explore the world’s northernmost year-round community at Ny-Ålesund, an important international polar research station.
- Zodiac cruise of spectacular Kongsfjorden, a fertile environment for birds and bearded seals, to stunning King’s Glacier.
- Souvenir polar-grade red parka.
- Boots available for rental onboard the ship.
- Transfers and luggage handling abroad if your arrival(s)/departure(s) coincide with the scheduled group transfer(s).
- Gratuities to local guides and drivers on included excursions and transfers.
- Complimentary bottled water in your Suite or Stateroom and on excursions.
- Hospitality desk in the hotel and aboard ship.
- Experienced Gohagan & Company Travel Directors at your service.
- Automatic $250,000 flight insurance policy for each participant ticketed on flights by
Gohagan & Company.
Paris Pre-Program Option
Renowned for its historic and aesthetic influence, Paris is a truly magnificent city worthy of every superlative. Enjoy a panoramic tour of the “City of Light” and see its most notable landmarks, including the Arc de Triomphe, Eiffel Tower, Place de la Concord and Place Vendôme. Visit the Louvre, the world’s largest museum, for a guided tour, and the Musée Jacquemart-André, a gorgeous 19th-century mansion brimming with fine art and decorative treasures, including Botticelli’s Virgin and Child. Tour Montmartre, the city’s artistic quartier where the market squares and crooked streets lead to the spectacular French-Byzantine basilica of Sacré Cœur. Visit Historic Place du Tertre, the original artists’ square ever since Renoir, Degas and Picasso called this lofty village home. Trace the history of the district at the Musée de Montmatre, which includes works by Toulouse-Lautrec. Stroll through the Renoir Gardens which afford views of Clos Montmartre, Paris’s only working vineyard. Spend two nights in the deluxe, ideally located InterContinental Le Grand.
The Pre-Program Option is available at additional cost. Details will be provided with your reservation confirmation.