Join us for this incomparable nine-day journey from the Costa Rican rainforest through the mighty locks of the Panama Canal. Spend one night in a deluxe hotel in San José, Costa Rica, then cruise for seven nights from Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica, to Colón, Panama, aboard the exclusively chartered, Five-Star Le Dumont-d’Urville, launching in 2019 and featuring the world’s first luxury underwater observatory. Experience a daylight passage through the awe-inspiring Panama Canal and explore the terrestrial wonders of Costa Rica’s Manuel Antonio National Park and Curú National Wildlife Refuge. Call at rarely visited Isla Cébaco and discover the rich marine life in its vivid coral reefs. Tour Panama City, including its Casco Antiguo (Old Quarter), a UNESCO World Heritage site, and visit the San Blas Islands. Enjoy lectures by exclusive onboard study leaders throughout the itinerary. Extend your stay with the Costa Rica’s Cultural and Natural Riches Pre-Program and Dynamic Panama Post-Program Options.
- Depart the U.S. or Canada/Arrive San José, Costa Rica
- San José/Puerto Caldera/Embark Le Dumont-d’Urville
- Curú National Wildlife Refuge/Isla Tortuga
- Quepos for Manuel Antonio National Park
- Isla Cébaco, Panama
- Panama City
- Panama Canal Transit/Colón
- San Blas Islands
- Colón/Disembark ship/Agua Clara Visitor Center**/Panama City/Return to the U.S. or Canada
*Cruise itinerary is subject to change.
**Agua Clara visit is departure flight time permitting.
- Introducing the extraordinary Blue Eye, the world’s first multisensory, underwater observation lounge.
- Exclusively chartered cruise aboard the newest FiveStar expedition ship, Le Dumont d’Urville, launching in 2019.
- Only 92 Suites and Staterooms—each with a private balcony!
- Once-in-a-lifetime daytime passage through the Panama Canal.
- Complimentary alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages throughout cruise.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi aboard the ship.
- Comprehensive cruise/land program—islands, jungle, wildlife, culture and history—all excursions included.
- Access ports unavailable to larger vessels and an excursion included in each port.
- Onboard naturalist guides and specially arranged lectures.
- Visit Panama City’s Casco Antiguo, a UNESCO World Heritage site.
- Swimming and snorkeling opportunities in pristine waters offer extraordinary visibility and color.
- Costa Rica’s Cultural and Natural Riches PreProgram and Dynamic Panama Post-Program Options.
Five-Star Small Ship Le Dumont d’Urville
Introducing the extraordinary Blue Eye, the world’s first multisensory, underwater Observation Lounge. View the beauty of marine life through the large, subaquatic windows and integrated digital screens providing live images from underwater cameras and enjoy the sensory experience of listening to the ocean’s unique underwater universe in the comfort of the exclusive Blue Eye lounge. Marine life viewing varies by location.
Luxury Small Ship, Innovative Design
Le Dumont-d’Urville, launching in 2019, ushers in a prestigious certification of FiveStar small ships, combining revolutionary design and a new standard of luxury for an unparalleled cruising experience. Dock in smaller ports inaccessible to larger ships and where authentic cultural experiences and majestic scenery await you.
Respect for the Environment
The newest addition to the Ponant “clean ship” fleet, an important distinction among ocean-cruising vessels, Le Dumont-d’Urville is energy efficient and eco-friendly, protecting fragile marine ecosystems while providing a safe and comfortable voyage.
Chic and Casual Dining
Dine indoors or alfresco on international and regional cuisine served in the stylish, spacious indoor-outdoor restaurant, at the casual pool deck grill or from 24hour room service. Daily meals include continental and buffet breakfasts, buffet lunch, afternoon tea and fourcourse dinner.
92 Elegant Suites and Staterooms, 100% with Private Balconies
Each Five-Star Stateroom and Suite (up to 484 square feet) features a private balcony. Grand Deluxe Suites have a bay window and spacious private terrace. Accommodations offer two twin beds or one queen bed, individual climate control and luxurious hotel amenities.
Life on Board
Enjoy sweeping views from the lounges, which open to the outdoors, and lectures, cultural performances or film screenings in the state-of-the-art theater. Relax in the spa and sauna or the Sun Deck’s infinity-style swimming pool. There is a beauty salon, fitness room and there are three elevators. Complimentary Wi-Fi is available throughout the ship
The highly trained, English-speaking crew are personable and attentive, and the ship has a medical center staffed with a doctor and nurse.
In San JosÉ, Costa Rica
- One night in the hacienda-style Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San José.
- American breakfast.
- Tour of San José, including the National Theater and National Museum, with lunch.
Scenic transfer from San José to Puerto Caldera.
On Board the Exclusively Chartered, Five-Star, Small Ship Le Dumont d’Urville
- Seven-night cruise from Puerto Caldera, Costa Rica, to Colón, Panama.
- Elegantly appointed, Five-Star Suite or Stateroom.
- Captain’s Welcome and Farewell Receptions.
- Complimentary alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages available throughout the cruise.
- All meals aboard ship.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the ship.
- Blue Eye—the world’s first luxury, multisensory, underwater observatory.
- Expert onboard naturalist guides to lead small group excursions.
- Guided tour through Curú National Wildlife Refuge to see a wide array of wildlife in its natural habitat, such as the rare scarlet macaw and the spider monkey.
- Visit to Isla Tortuga, with opportunities for snorkeling.
- Excursion in stunning and biodiverse Manuel Antonio National Park with a naturalistled trail walk through the protected rainforest.
- Specially arranged, onboard musical performance by local Quepos musicians.
- Visit to pristine Isla Cébaco, with opportunities for swimming and snorkeling among colorful marine life.
- Tour of Panama City, highlighted by visits to the UNESCO World Heritage site of Casco Viejo, the new Frank Gehrydesigned Biodiversity Museum and the Panama Canal’s informative Miraflores Visitor Center.
- Daylight passage through the Panama Canal, accompanied by a historical narration. Transit times through the canal are controlled by the Panama Canal Authority and are subject to traffic conditions.
- Excursion to the remote San Blas Islands, where you will meet the Guna people.
Scenic transfer from Colón to Panama City, including a visit to the Panama Canal Expansion Agua Clara Visitor Center, departure flight time permitting.
- Transfers and luggage handling abroad if your arrival(s)/departure(s) coincide with the scheduled group transfer(s).
- Experienced, English speaking local guides for included excursions.
- Gratuities to hotel personnel and to local guides and drivers on included excursions and transfers.
- Hospitality desk aboard ship and in the hotel.
- Complimentary bottled water in your Suite or Stateroom and on excursions.
- Experienced Gohagan & Company Travel Directors at your service.
- Automatic $250,000 flight insurance policy for each participant ticketed on flights by Gohagan & Company.
Costa Rica’s Cultural And Natural Riches Pre-Program Option
Experience a medley of Costa Rica’s diverse biospheres, from steamy hot springs to misty cloud forests. Tour historic San José, an organic chocolate workshop, an award-winning coffee estate and a traditional artisan town known for intricately hand-painted woodcrafts. In view of towering Arenal Volcano, explore the lush rainforest along a series of suspended and fixed bridges. Accommodations are for two nights in the hacienda-style Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San José and two nights in the ideally located Tabarón Grand Spa and Thermal Resort.
This Pre-Program pricing includes a credit for the cost of one of the two nights’ accommodations in San José and the San José city tour, as these features are already included in the cost of your main program.
Dynamic Panama—The Renaissance of a City Post-Program Option
An exploration of old and new, Panama is the perfect complement to “the crossroads of the Americas.” Visit the UNESCO World Heritage-designated Panama Viejo to see the ruins of the oldest European settlement on the Pacific American coast, cruise the Gatún River to meet the indigenous Embera people and visit the fascinating Agua Clara Visitor Center for panoramic views of the Panama Canal expansion. Spend two nights in the ideally located, deluxe Bristol Panama Hotel.
The Pre-Program and Post-Program Options are available at additional cost. Details will be provided with your reservation confirmation.