Join us for this unparalleled and comprehensive nine-day Aegean odyssey to the very cradle of Western civilization and the classical world. Cruise round trip Athens, Greece, aboard the exclusively chartered, newest Five-Star small ship Le Bougainville. Call on the islands of Delos, Mykonos, Pátmos, Rhodes and Santorini, and the Peloponnese Peninsula. Visit the extraordinary wonder of Meteora, where 14th- and 15th-century monasteries stand high atop soaring natural sandstone pinnacles, and walk through legendary sites of antiquity—including the ancient citadel of Mycenae and historic Epidaurus. Enjoy guided tours in these storied destinations, free time to encounter their mysteries and delights at your own pace during the best time of the year, and opportunities to visit nine magnificent UNESCO World Heritage sites. Meet and engage with local residents during the specially arranged Island Life® Forum for a personal perspective on the true character of the Aegean Sea’s maritime culture. Extend your voyage with the Athens Pre-Cruise Option and the Ancient Olympia Post-Cruise Option.
- Depart the U.S. or Canada
- Athens, Greece/Embark Le Bougainville
- Volos for Meteora
- Nafplion for Mycenae and Epidaurus
- Athens/Disembark ship/Return to the U.S. or Canada
- Introducing the extraordinary Blue Eye, the world’s first multisensory, underwater observation lounge.
- Uniquely created seven-night cruise itinerary following Gohagan & Company’s tradition of innovative, small ship programming.
- Exclusively chartered cruise aboard the new Five‑Star expedition ship Le Bougainville, launching in 2019.
- Only 92 Suites and Staterooms—each with a private balcony!
- Visit up to nine UNESCO World Heritage sites.
- Call on islands steeped in myth and history—Delos, Mykonos, Pátmos, Santorini and medieval Rhodes.
- Visit towering Meteora, where 24 Orthodox monasteries stand high atop natural sandstone pinnacles.
- Walk through the fabled Lion Gate of the legendary city of Mycenae.
- Explore the monumental ruins of the Sanctuary of Asklepios in historic Epidaurus.
- Complimentary alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages throughout the cruise and complimentary Wi-Fi aboard ship.
- Athens Pre-Cruise and Ancient Olympia Post-Cruise Options.
Five-Star Small Ship ms Le Bougainville
Luxury Expedition Ships, Innovative Design
The Le Bougainville ushers in a new generation of Five-Star small ships, combining revolutionary design and a new standard of luxury for an unparalleled expedition cruising experience to be launching in 2019. Venture where no ships have gone before, and visit remote destinations where authentic encounters with captivating cultures, spectacular wildlife and majestic scenery await you.
Blue Eye—The World’s First Luxury Underwater Observatory
Exclusive to the Ponant Explorer fleet is the extraordinary Blue Eye, a multisensory underwater Observation Lounge that incorporates bionic and biomimetic decor and technology to immerse you in the beauty of the ocean’s ecosystem. Observe marine life through the large subaquatic windows and on digital screens projecting undersea activity in real time, while specially designed hydrophones echo the ocean’s ebb and flow and relay the sounds and senses beneath the water’s surface.
Respect for the Environment
The newest additions to a fleet that has been awarded the prestigious “Clean Ship” designation, a rarity among ocean-cruising vessels, the ships are designed with energy efficient, advanced eco-friendly features that protect fragile marine ecosystems while providing a safe and comfortable voyage.
92 Elegant Suites and Staterooms, 100% with Private Balconies
Each Five-Star Stateroom and Suite (up to 484 square feet) features a private balcony. Grand Deluxe Suites have a bay window and spacious private terrace. Accommodations offer two twin beds or one queen bed, individual climate control and luxurious hotel amenities.
Chic and Casual Dining
Dine indoors or alfresco on international and regional cuisine served in the stylish, spacious indoor-outdoor restaurant, at the casual pool deck grill or from 24-hour room service. Daily meals include continental and buffet breakfasts, buffet lunch, afternoon tea and a four-course dinner.
Spacious Environment, Intimate Atmosphere
Inspired by the natural and nautical worlds, the warm and inviting public areas are marked by a refined elegance. Enjoy sweeping views from the lounges, which open to the outdoors, and lectures, cultural performances or film screenings in the state-of-the-art theater. Relax in the spa and sauna rooms or the Sun Deck’s infinity-style swimming pool. Each ship has a beauty salon, fitness room and, for your convenience, two elevators. Complimentary Wi-Fi is available throughout the ship.
The highly trained, English-speaking crew are personable and attentive, and the ship has an infirmary staffed with a doctor and nurse.
On board the exclusively chartered, FiveStar small ship Le Bougainville
- Seven-night cruise round trip Athens, Greece, with port calls at Volos for Meteora, Delos, Mykonos, Pátmos, Rhodes and Santorini; and Nafplion for Mycenae and Epidaurus.
- Elegantly appointed, Five-Star Suite or Stateroom, each with a private bathroom.
- Captain’s Welcome and Farewell Receptions.
- Complimentary alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages available throughout the cruise.
- All meals—early continental breakfast, buffet breakfast, buffet lunch, afternoon tea and dinner—throughout the cruise, featuring fine international and regional cuisine, served at single, unassigned seatings.
- Complimentary Wi-Fi throughout the ship.
- Blue Eye—the world’s first luxury, multisensory, underwater observatory.
Expert-Guided Excursions and Exclusive Cultural Enrichments
- Expert insights from Aegean historian Eleni Zachariou.
- Tour of Santorini—which some consider mythology’s lost city of Atlantis—featuring a visit to the renowned Museum of Prehistoric Thera and a cable car ride.
- Guided tour of Santorini’s phenomenal Minoan site of Bronze Age Akrotiri.
- Time at leisure on the islands of Rhodes, Pátmos and Mykonos to explore at your own pace.
- Choice of a half-day excursion in Lindos to the Acropolis or an afternoon at leisure in Rhodes.
- Island Life® Forum with local residents who will discuss contemporary life on the islands of the Aegean Sea.
- Traditional Greek music and dance performance.
- Special Greek pastry culinary presentation aboard the ship.
UNESCO World Heritage Site Highlights
- Excursion to extraordinary Meteora, where 14th-and 15th-century Greek Orthodox monasteries were built atop towering natural sandstones massifs, with lunch in a nearby restaurant.
- Walking tour of medieval Rhodes Town, with a visit to the 14th-century Palace of the Grand Masters of the Knights of St. John.
- Tour of the Cave of the Apocalypse and the Monastery of St. John on the island of Pátmos.
- Walking tour of Delos’ splendid classical ruins including the Sanctuary of Apollo and the theater quarter.
- Tour of the ancient archaeological site of Mycenae.
- Excursion to Epidaurus, featuring the Sanctuary of Asklepios and its perfectly preserved theater.
- Transfers and luggage handling abroad if your arrival(s)/departure(s) coincide with the scheduled group transfer(s).
- Experienced, English-speaking local guides for included excursions.
- Gratuities to local guides and drivers on included excursions and transfers.
- Complimentary bottled water in your Suite or Stateroom and on excursions.
- Hospitality desk aboard ship.
- Experienced Gohagan & Company Program Directors at your service.
- Complimentary use of an audio headset during guided excursions.
- Automatic $250,000 flight insurance policy for each participant ticketed on flights by Gohagan & Company.
All Included Features are contingent upon final brochure pricing.
Classical Athens and the Oracle of Delphi Pre-Cruise Option
Experience the ancient city unmatched in its contributions to the foundations of the Western world—Athens, the birthplace of democracy. Explore the enduring grandeur encapsulated in the spectacular Acropolis, a UNESCO World Heritage site, and the gracefully proportioned Parthenon, a perfect example of Doric architecture, dedicated to the goddess Athena in 438 B.C. See the archaeological treasures of the Acropolis Museum and tour the hallowed ruins of the UNESCO World Heritage-designated Delphi, the ancient sacred site where Ancient Greeks of all classes sought divine advice on matters as routine as farming and as monumental as the declaration of war. This Pre-Cruise Option features two nights in the deluxe Hotel Grande Bretagne, Athens.
Ancient Olympia Post-Cruise Option
Journey to UNESCO World Heritage-designated Olympia, ancient center of worship and the Temple of Zeus. Nearby Vytina, nestled among chestnut trees and old pines, is a significant Greek cultural heritage “traditional settlement.” Enjoy distinctive local cuisine and explore regional traditions in the Folklore Museum. Visit the original sixth-century B.C. stadium and Bouleuterion, where competitors swore their oath to uphold Olympic game standards. Learn more about one of the world’s greatest mathematicians in Archimedes’ Museum. Board a small excursion boat and cruise through the fabled Corinth Canal, an engineering marvel and scarcely 70 feet wide at its narrowest point. Accommodations are for two nights in the charming Olympic Village Resort and Spa and one night in the Sofitel Athens Airport Hotel.
The Pre- and Post-Program Options are available at additional cost. Details will be provided with your reservation confirmation.